PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: Panasonic HVX200 workflow questions (used to DVCAM).

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Stephen Downes
Re: Panasonic HVX200 workflow questions (used to DVCAM).
on Apr 20, 2006 at 1:00:32 pm

[iMan] "It is a JVC GY-HD101E, which shoots HDV progressive or standard dv interlace only. No HD."

iMan,

The JVC GY-HD101E will in fact be shooting pictures that are more 'HD' when shooting in HDV mode than the HVX 200 you'll be using - it records with CCD's that are 1280x720 pixels, whereas the Panasonic has CCD's that are only 960x540 (not that much greater than Standard Definition!!!). I've seen side-by-side tests with both cameras and the JVC definitely produces sharper looking pictures than the Panasonic. Also with such small sized CCD's in the Panasonic, the degree of up-sampling of the chroma information means there is probably not that much difference between the colour held in the JVC's 4:2:0 recorded image compared to the Panasonic's 4:2:2 recorded image. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with either camera, it's just that I get tired of people saying HDV is not HD - I'm sure the HDV consortium did a disservice to the format by putting a DV in it's name. HDV is definitely HD because it produces pictures that are larger in dimension than standard def. Standard def is 720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC. The 1080i HDV spec is 1440x1080 (which incidentally is the same as HDCam) and the 720p HDV spec is 1280x720 (compare this to Panasonic's high-end VariCam that has a native resolution of only 960x720!!). Both JVC's HDV camera and Panasonic's DVCProHD P2 camera are most definitely HD. The difference lies merely in the algorithms used to compress the material - and by the way, there is no uncompressed HD tape format on the planet!

Stephen Downes

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]