PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon Wyndham
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 23, 2005 at 9:00:38 am

Gabriel, you are very misinformed.

You can delete no-good takes from the disc just after they have been recorded, although you cannot delete a clip halfway through the disc. But in reality you would normally delete a no-good take right away anyway.

Also, the XDCAM disc CAN be accessed and copied to just like a hard drive. XDCAM saves as MXF files which are handled like any other file on the computer. XDCAM uses FAM file transfer and behaves in exactly the same way as P2 does when it is hooked up to the computer. I can copy the mxf files to the PC hard drive in exactly the same way as P2. In fact once the camera is hooked up to the computer there is NO difference between the P2 workflow and the xdcam workflow. XDCAM has slower access times, but that is offset by the fact that I can hold much more data on an XDCAM disc.

This is a case of horses for courses. I have the choice between swapping cards and dumping footage to a laptop often, but having very fast access times with P2, or I can record much longer with hardly any need to dump footage, but have slightly longer access times with XDCAM. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

Lastly I do not need a deck, I can just use the camera.

I use xdcam every day as I own a PDW510. I have to say it gets old real fast when people spread misinformation about the xdcam format. I like the idea of P2, and I think the two formats can exist side by side giving people the choice depending on their market.

Please get your facts straight.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]