PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Christopher DeAngelus
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 15, 2005 at 2:27:39 pm

Working for a company with four employees, I don't consider this a large corporation, and I use tape to back up. I know other small companies that use tape to back up as well. It is not just limited to large corporations.

As for P2 eliminating tape clogs: as with most technology, it is not eliminating a problem, it is replacing a problem with other problems. You use an example of head clogs, which is specific to the tape mechanism. Going to solid state may eliminate head clogs, but now you've added, say, static shock of the P2 card (which can kill the card and/or erase the contents) as a potential hazard, something I'm sure we in the northeast get quite a bit with our cold, dry winters. You've also added failure to the solid state memory inside as another problem. Where a clogged head can be repaired, try to repair a fused/shorted/physically damaged memory chip. The effect of that is the same as a clogged head: downtime.

Both systems have weaknesses. Neither is perfect. P2 is an interesting solution, but thinking it will eliminate all your problems is shortsighted. You are simply trading one set of advantages/disadvantages for another. As of right now, with the cost/size what it is, I can't see it being an answer.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]