PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Graeme Nattress
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 15, 2005 at 1:01:37 pm

Tape is certainly used to back up large amounts of data, but only large business use tape, Small businesses use optical disc based solutions, and as optical discs become cheaper and larger, this is the force that will drive your video backup solutions.

And sure the digital photographer might take many thousands of photos, but that's to get the 20 or so that count, and loosing one of them is like you loosing a footage tape worth of video that has a key shot on it, surrounded by outtakes. Sure, it's not a direct analogy, but don't dismiss it either - to each individual there is data you cannot bare to loose, whether it be video, images or words.

To me, the weakest part of the "tape" solution is the very moment of capture to tape in camera itself, where a dropout could clog your heads for minutes and you could not be recording anything useful at all, or the tape could get scratched by a piece of dirt on a roller or part of the mechanism. I think we've all had something like that happen. That's the first key point of danger with tape that P2 eliminates, and after that, backups are in your own hands, just as they are with tape.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects for FCP

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]