PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Christopher DeAngelus
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 15, 2005 at 3:45:51 am

I'm going to apologize up-front for not reading every post; if what I say here has been stated already, it's because I stopped around the 30s, to share my insights with you.

My biggest fear with P2 is the same fear that realizes itself every few months or so in my Final Cut Pro workflow. Corrupt files and disks. There was quite a bit of talk about checksums and whatnot; what happens if the checksum comes back stating there IS a problem in the file? It's been my experience, that, unlike tape, I can't isolate that problem and save the rest of the media. In tape, a dropped frame at worst ruins a shot. Even a tear in the tape can be repaired. In digital format, a glitch in the file (or storage medium) usually kills all of it. That's a high price to pay for a single error, and I've paid it quite a few times. The saving grace in all of it has been that I had the original tape to go back to and redigitize the material. However, with P2, I have to make a successful transfer to tape in order to have that assurance. Otherwise, I'm still working with a digital copy where simple corruption can be both irreversible and catastrophic.

Someone made the analogy to photography, and Office documents. There is a difference here as well. If, say, 3 blocks of data are corrupted amongst 12000 photos (totally random numbers here) you lose the individual photos that were corrupt, but the rest is salvagable, accepting that the rest of the storage medium is fine. With a video file, in today's world, you lose any video that had part of it's file in that corrupted area, even if 90% of the data (frames of footage) are not corrupt. While I won't say you can't get these back, have fun doing it. Basically, with digital files, your collateral damage potential jumps signifigantly.

As a final note, there is a lot of talk in this thread about backing up your data. I'd like to point out that the #1 method for backing up data in the corporate world is to back it up to tape, because of the cost + reliability of tape. For now, those two factors seem to outweigh, at least to me, the P2 benefits.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]