PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

jeremiah black
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 5, 2005 at 5:16:10 am

(serge) I want my Panasonic 24p HD camcorder under $10k hopefully under $5k and I want it to record on TAPE.... If its on 4gig P2 cards its just a toy to me, not a functioning real world device - too bad.

So, let me get this straight- you want a professional HD camcorder that records to tape for 5k? Well, I want a Ferrari for 5K, but it's not going to happen, because it's too expensive of an item to sell at that low of a price. The 8 pairs of record heads in the varicam's tape transport cost $800 a pair- that's $6400. And that's what it costs PANASONIC to build, not what they charge us for it. So, your infanitle tantrum about demanding an HD camera for 5k reveals a tremendous disconnect with reality on your part. It's not so much that the new P2 camera is just recording to P2 for fun, it's that it HAS to record to P2, otherwise there's no way we could get an HD signal on a palmcorder. In order to record to tape you need an entire tape transport and record heads and a camera twice the size, and it isn't possible to MAKE this camera for 5k, much less SELL it for one. Look at it this way: If you want DVCPRO HD/24p for under 10k, it HAS to be a P2 camera. So either buy one or don't, but quit crying in forums.

Plus, I thought you were a big, big professional with dozens of feature films under your belt, and you're telling your max budget is 5k for an HD camera? You say you're concerned about shooting on a "toy", but yet you want your "professional" camera to come in at 5k? Is this a joke? Just remeber that the P2 was invented by the same company that invented the Varicam you love so much, so let's just wait and see, and in the meantime let's all assume they know what they're doing.

jeremiah black
dual 2 gig G5
2.5 gigs of RAM
Decklink Extreme capture card

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]