PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Graeme Nattress
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 5, 2005 at 12:12:07 am

All depends on what you mean "Displayed Properly" :-)

As for 4:2:0, and just about all other colour samplings, it's not what it looks like when it's displayed, as most displays don't have the rez for 4:2:2 never mind 4:4:4 colour to appear any different, and all good output devices will smooth the chroma anyway, it's what it's like to work with, doing effects and such.

4:2:0 on progressive makes 2x2 blocks of chroma, and that's not too bad at all. It's a very reasonable compromise.

On Interlace, however, you get 2x2 blocks on a field basis, so that 2x2 block gets stretched out over a 4x2 area, interlaced with another 2x2 block, and as you can imagine, this makes it hard to deal with for compositing etc. That's why I don't like it. Not because of how it looks on display, but that it's a right royal pain in the **** to deal with in post production.

As for MPEG4, it's what HDCAM SR is using, so it's not at all bad. And as for gradients - any codec at low data rates is going to do that. HDCAM uses 440mbitspersecond, so it's very, very lightly compressed with a highly efficient codec. And yes, it's also highly expensive.

MPEG2 has just about proven itself for delivery, but even today I get DVDs that are poorly compressed. There's very little room for manuever in it's SD DVD data rates, and HDV's data rate is very close to the edge also. A 50mbits MPEG2 for HD acquisition would make total sense, but I'd still want to edit it uncompressed.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects for FCP

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]