PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Guy Barwood
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 5, 2005 at 12:00:35 am

[Graeme Nattress] "I don't think a 15 frame GOP MPEG2 is 4 times as efficient as, say, DV, never mind a 6 frame GOP. It might just reach sort of DV quality on images with less movement. If they really wanted to use an efficient codec, why did they not use MPEG4?? Because they want to keep the cheap cameras lower quality?? As for chroma sampling, 4:2:0 is just about acceptable on progressive video, but quite ghastly on interlaced. "

I never said it was 4 times as efficient, I just reminded people that its not 4x as bad. MPEG4 is a very demanding codec to encode, MPG2's got nothing on it. A real time MPG4 HD encoder would be much harder to develop (increasing costs) and consume much more power to run. Of the MPG4 HD videos I have seen (Microsoft's HD WMV showcase which are essentially MPG4), they also have some serious problems encoding gradients (such as skys) and I for one am very happy they avoided it.

As for 4:2:0, I'm not sure what makes you say that as I have seen the Z1's footage and when displayed properly it's so far from ghastly its not funny. HDV 1080i 4:2:0 would have about twice the amount of colour info as 4:2:2 SD, yet everyone always raves about how beautiful the colours are in 4:2:2 SD..... With the pixels being so much smaller, the visual difference between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 will be significantly less with HD than SD unless projected on very large screens.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]