PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Luis Caffesse
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 7:17:49 pm

[Peter DeCrescenzo] "The result is potentially (yes: only potentially) a somewhat random scattering of a not insignificant number of irretrievably lost original recorded frames, all over the world."[/i]

And as you mentioned, the same potential is there for videotape, in the form of dropped frames.

I don't know about most people, but I copy files very often on my system. I move them from one computer to another over a netowork. I back them up to DVD and erase them from the hard drive, only to copy them back onto the drive months later.

I have NEVER had a file become corrupted or damaged upon copying it.
On the other hand, I have had many many dropped frames over the years from a bad tape. I have also had tape transports die on me. I have had head clogs in the middle of a shoot, only to find that the last few takes were ruined, and had to stop to clean the heads on the camera.

So, P2 seems no less reliable than tape to me.
You may be right in your mathematics, the potential is there.
But from my experience, and I think that's what most people will judge by, I've had more problems with tape that I have ever had with digital files.

Just curious, how many times have you had a file corrupted by copying it?
And how many dropouts have you had over the years?

"Further, after they're backed up, virtually _all_ of the P2 cards will be completely erased"

If it's that big of a concern for you, check your files before you erase the card. There isn't anything you can do to recover dropped frames from tape, but at least with P2 you have the opportunity to recopy the files before erasing.

"BUT MOST PRODUCTION WORKFLOWS DON'T REQUIRE ERASING THE ORIGINAL FOOTAGE. "

We're talking about digital files here.
You're moving the orignal footage to a new source, and deleting the copy.
You still have your original footage, just not in the same place.
I view it as removing film from a film magazine, and reloading.
The original 'film' is still there, just like the same bit for bit copy of your files will be there, every bit the same as the files that were on the P2 card.

Luis Caffesse
Studio 3 Productions, Inc.
Austin, Texas

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]