PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Shook
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 4:19:47 pm

Serge,

[Serge Rodnunsky] "All this confidence in Hard Drives as an archive format is nutty too. Has anyone had a hard drive sitting on their shelf for ten years and then tried to boot it up again. I mean what was I using ten years ago SCSI, I don't even have SCSI cards and connections anymore. I have a 3/4 inch tape from 1980 that I just put in a deck and it was fine. That tape is 25 years old. Getting over to optical makes sense but so little data on a DVD."

I see where you are coming from, but you just aren't keeping up with recent developments. Hard drives aren't for archiving. They are for initial recording and short term storage. You can take it to the bank that there will be hard drive recording options for this camera either from Pana or 3rd parties that'll take care of any long form recording issues. By the time this Camera delivers, or shortly thereafter, there will be holographic worm optical drives that can hold 200 gigs, transfer at 20MB/sec, cost $50 for the media ($.25/gigabyte,) that takes care of any long term archiving needs. There will be folks using this camera that don't purchase a P2 card for a year or 2 until the prices drop considerably, but in the meantime, the stage is set. Check out the Maxell booth at NAB about Holographic Optical. Other than the fact that it's not rewritable, it blows BlueRay or HDVD out of the water as a video post-pro workflow tool.

This is a brilliant move by Panasonic to get P2 moving and the prices for the media dropping and it's aimed just as much, if not more, at XD-Cam as it is at 1/3" palmcorder competitors.

Ron Shook

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]