PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jan Crittenden
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 2:44:46 pm

Hi Peter,

You said: The backups will be "eyeball-verified" in _realtime_ in addition to being electronically verified during the backup/transfer. The eyeball verification should be done by a Qualified Person In Charge to insure data integrity. Don't entrust the quality of the only copies of your video to a computer system or a lowly production assistant. Since eyeballing the video is done in realtime, this task is somewhat time consuming but unavoidable.

I find this odd. It might be that you are just unfamiliar with the practice of managing data. If a computer can check sum and verify data, like it does at the World Bank and NY Stock Exchange, where data going bad would mean millions and millions of dollars going astray, why can't you trust a computer to make a copy. You can even have it check sum and verify your data.

I mean every time you play your tape in DV you run the risk of introducing dropouts. This is a little less likely in DVCPRO but it is possible. I have seen guys tear their hair out because the copy they thought was good, really wasn't. Do you watch all the copies after they have been recorded?

When I back up my computer to the internal server, and frankly there are some papers I have written that have taken me weeks to write and it would be really bad to lose them, I don't check to see if every word was accurately copied. I check the data count and if it is the same I move on.

Anyhow, just a thought,

Jan

Jan M. Crittenden
Product Manager, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, AG-DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]