PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

karl
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
by
on Apr 4, 2005 at 12:10:14 pm

I think the key issue here Serge is that Panasonic would not have been able to deliver a 24p DVCPROHD cam if they had gone for a tape option. I've read several times that the tape transport in the Varicam is what makes it so expensive. getting 100mbps to tape is not a cheap thing. So the ONLY way you can have this cam cheap is if it records without a tape mechanism. Go and spend $40K or whatever on the varicam if you like tape but we cant expect that same set-up for $6K.

Panasonic have an opportunity to deliver an uncompromised HD image (i.e not HDV) to a wider audience. I think it is a bit ahead of it's time, workflow may be difficult - but it's just going to get easier as the years go on and it's going to be the best image qualitly you'll get from any cam in this price range.

For what it's worth I have the same reservations as you. I can film conferences all day - 10 hours, on my own. I have no time to be backing up data every 5/10 mintues. It's me in the field having to film everything as and when it happens, unexpectidly. I can't 'plan' for downtime to transfer.... This cam would NOT work in that situation. Especailly if I shot DVCPROHD and then the client wanted all the tapes - which happens. No, this is a real problem.

However the benefits of the cam, 1080p 4:2:2 colour space make me really think about using it for the short films I make. It isnt perfect. You think I want to stop every 5 mins to back-up my P2 card? No. But I could do it. Is it worth it for the quality of the footage I'm going to get compared to any other offering out there???? We'll see at NAB.

Who knows, some third party may come up with a portable device/ HDD to record direct to. For me that would be a great option.

Serge, I do not disagree with you at all. When I first heard about the workflow I thought Panasonic had gone mad. It isn't very practical right now, and it isnt for everyone. Yes it's expensive even if I buy 2 4GB cards with the camera. But am I prepared to accept this inconvenience to get affordable HD? If I could afford it I'd buy Varicam, but I cant!

I'm waiting to hear the NAB reports as the price of P2 is going to be a MAJOR factor in buying this camera. Who knows what Panasonic have planned. We know SD cards are very cheap, so I'm sure Panasonic could manufacture them for much much less than they are currently selling. 4 1GB cards will cost you less than $350 so $1700 to sandwich them up is some mark-up. Panasonic may cut this price enormously just to get people buying into P2. The DVX100 was a runaway success and you can be sure they will want the same thing from this camera.

If I had 30 mins of DVCPROHD 1080p for a reasonable price then thats a workable soltuion. Lets see what they offer and how long we have to wait.

For clarification how many minutes of DVCPROHD 1080p 24/25fps would you get on the 4GB/8GB card?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]