PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Guy Barwood
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 12:01:40 pm

[Noah Kadner] "They're both shooting HDV which is 4x as compressed as DVCPROHD and with less color depth"
More efficient codec means less loss in the compression for the same data rate. Then, with a lower colour space you don't need the same data rate. I'm not here saying HDV is as good as DVCPRO HD at all, but I strongly argue agains a factor of 4x in the compression which is not so, as you are only basing your comparison on the pure bit rates.

Although probably correct, the JVC may shoot higher bit rate or colour space than HDV, it is after all discribed as also ProHD compatible, which is as yet not specifically defined.

[Noah Kadner] "If you think that level of MPEG-2 type compression is going to endure 30 years on a mini DV tape with no dropouts you could be in for an unpleasant surprise or two. "
So your planning on archiving your P2 recorded footage on P2 media are you?

[Noah Kadner] "And neither shoots 24p at 1080 like the HVX"
But you don't know how the HVX shoots 24p/1080 either. Is it a 1280x720p CCD block with a software upres (in which case it is really no more capable than the JVC anyway)? Who knows, don't assume you've got a 1920x1080p CCD block just yet.

All I am thinking here is the points you are making are pretty flawed at the moment. It's no time to can P2, but it also no time to sing the glory of P2.

[Noah Kadner] "And P2's prices can only go down while capacities go up."
Lucky for Panasonic of few of us could afford to even consider it. Then again who wants to spend a lot of money on a product that depreciates so quickly in price? "If I just wait a bit longer the price will drop some more"...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]