PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Gabriel
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 10:27:20 am

Serge, I must point out several mistakes you make: a 4 GB card will hold more than 5 minutes of DVCPROHD. For that matter, 8GB cards will be availble very soon. Downloading the data from a 8GB card to a P2 store will be faster than real time, so You don't have any downtime. All your footage is ready to be edited - no capturing time. Archiving - you can use DVD discs where you put the raw data (not dvd compression, to make it clear). because it's a fast and nonlinear process, you can archive only the useful stuff, not everything. Major savings there - instead of puttting a $20 tape on the shelf, you put 4-5 discs worth 75c each. They are far more reliable and small and archiving can be done with a laptop these days - no need for expensive decks. Also, I don't think a statement from Sony is a valid argument - WHAT would you expect them to say, that P2 is a serious threat for their new round tape format?.. Blu-ray is an archiving/delivery format, not an aquisition one. Other than being non linear, there are no other advantages - you still have to capture, you can't free up space other than by erasing the whole disc, it's slow when you want to access anything ele than the proxy, no IT integration, expensive peripherials (players/decks). With P2 all you need is a laptop in the field and maybe a raid1 firewire/usb2 external hdd box, if you don't trust the p2 store. What you really need is to try and think out of the square and forget that the P2 card is your media. It deservs the same consideration as the memory in your PC - things come and go through there, it only happens that we take it out sometimes (NOT every 5 minutes).

Gabriel Costache
Sales Engineer
Panasonic NZ Ltd

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]