PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Peter DeCrescenzo
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 7:15:54 am

[Graeme Nattress] "Say you backup the P2 media to tape. Why would you subject the process to much more stringent control and over-sight than what a cameraman would do shooting direct to tape?? If it were unreliable to dump a P2 to tape, surely it would be unreliable to shoot tape in the first place?? ..."

Hi Graeme: My point is, if you shoot on videotape or film, or draw with pen or pencil, or create with almost anything other than pure-digital origination (digital photography, computer graphics & animation, digital music, and so forth), you almost never destroy the original tape, film, drawing, what-have-you. And you'd almost never destroy the original artifact every day, time after time, hundreds of thousands or millions of images-worth as standard practice. Not even the busiest pro digital still photographer creates & deletes anywhere near that many images every day!

So, no, shooting on P2-style media is not like most other media. Because it'll remain so darn expensive for awhile, and so must _plan_ to reuse it, you must plan to stringently backup each recording at least twice, stringently verify the backups with your own eyes & ears, and insure (as in any good backup procedure) you secure at least one copy off-site.

It's not that P2-style media or backup systems are unreliable, it's that when the original recording is gone, it's gone, and the image volume is enormous! That's the whole issue. Our backup procedures must be near 100% reliable to insure any hope a good copy exists. This is different than a workflow where you preserve (meaning: don't erase/destroy) the original. An original is 100% perfect in the sense that it "don't get no better" than whatever got originally recorded, warts and all. A backup copy can't be guaranteed 100% perfect, but a human being can verify (by eye & by ear) that it's at least "acceptable". And that means man-hours.

I wouldn't be so concerned if it weren't for the scale of this inevitable change.

For some unknown period of time, millions and then billions of original motion picture frames will be routinely destroyed every day once P2-style production becomes popular. Backups or no backups, the magnitude of that fact is stunning.

But as long as people are extra-careful with their data, I guess we'll be OK.

All watched over by machines of loving grace, indeed!

All the best,

- Peter

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]