PANASONIC HVX - HPX: Panasonic HVX - HPX Series Panasonic Varicam Panasonic AG-DVX Series

Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Graeme Nattress
Re: NO p2 for me! Forget it!
on Apr 4, 2005 at 6:31:31 am

Say you backup the P2 media to tape. Why would you subject the process to much more stringent control and over-sight than what a cameraman would do shooting direct to tape?? If it were unreliable to dump a P2 to tape, surely it would be unreliable to shoot tape in the first place??

This all reminds me very much of the introlduction of the NLE, where nobody could afford the many gigabytes of hard disk space needed, and, of course, the NLE never took off as tape to tape is just so much cheaper, quicker, easier etc.

Also, what about CRT monitors? Sony, of all people, no longer manufacture CRTs. Think about it. What they've got left is stockpile only. Once they're gone, they're gone.

In the audio industry, Quantegy, the last tape manufacturer of analogue professional audio tape shut down. This gave the industry quite a fright until they managed to find someone new, but in the meantime they were worried. That's because the mainstream audio industry records direct to hard disk now.

And yes, stills photographers! They've moved to digital, recording on memory cards, no doubt backing up in the field to the hard drive of their laptop, burning a CD, wiping the memory card then starting again. I see that they've got their workflow sorted, and it won't be long before video people get their workflow sorted too.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects for FCP

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]