MEMBER VIDEOS: Demo Reels Demo Reels Forum Services Promote Your Service or Business

Re: First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design

COW Forums : Demo Reels

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Johnny
Re: First Demo Reel for Editor/AE/Graphic Design
on Sep 24, 2005 at 10:15:32 am

Howdy

The first piece doesn't need to run any longer then up to the 2nd car montage. Nothing the guy says or the blend effect really adds to what you are showing. The women cook, it's cuts only, more impressed with the camera work then a cuts only piece. People who are hiring, in my experience want to see a variety in styles, cuts to music, how you use effects, the visuals you choose, how you worked in the graphics, mostly they want to be excited by what they see.

Just taking a guess, since this is your first reel, that you don't have a lot of footage to choose. I think in the edit section you would be better off making it seem bigger though. Instead of 2 stories for 30 seconds, 4 to 6 stories at around 10-15 seconds per. Pick stories with a strong opening and if they don't have it, redo them so they do. If you don't really have that much material, see what you can do about putting some together. My first reel came together after an intership(many many moons ago) of pretty much footage that was shot for other projects(I asked the owner of the company, can I use this footage, never claimed on the resume I shot the stuff though, wrong and I'm no where close to that good of shooter). I would just find things and then cut it together how I wanted, got a friend to VO some, shot some stand ups for other things. Made them look like real pieces that were used for different things, trade shows, commericials and if potential employers asked I told them straight up exactly what they were, just examples of my ability to edit.

Nothing wrong with the graphics/animation work you chose, but the other guy is right, you need to can that music ASAP. Something else you can do with your reel, is edit the motion effects and graphics to a piece of music. Since it's animation/graphics you can let it really hang out.

I don't mind the music for framing the piece and the intro's, it's clever, but when it went on and on. Seriously, if that came across my desk, it would of been a struggle to watch it all the way through.

Don't sweat it, just keep plugging and chugging
Good luck
johnny

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]