MEMBER VIDEOS: Demo Reels Demo Reels Forum Services Promote Your Service or Business

Re: Something revised, something new....

COW Forums : Demo Reels

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Christian Glawe
Re: Something revised, something new....
on May 26, 2005 at 3:07:04 pm

I don't entirely agree with the Craftsman tool analogy.... an Avid facility is probably not going to be interested in someone who knows only Final Cut Pro, and not Avid. I personally feel that it's a good selling point that I am proficient in both. I also feel it's a good selling point that I am a compositor, as well as an editor. Again, a facility that has only After Effects stations isn't going to be interested in the person that only knows Combustion.... Every facility I've talked to, one of the first things they want to know is what programs do you know. I agree with you in the sense that ultimately it doesn't really matter all that much... the end product is much more a function of the artist than the tools. But, believe me, the person that's going to hire you freelance wants to know what tools you are fast and good with. A facility owner doesn't want to pay someone's hourly/daily rate for them to sit down and start thumbing through the Avid manual to figure out how to make a dissolve.

As far as the reel goes... everything on the reel is my editing, and my compositing - with the exception of the Jack Hanna title graphic. I did not design that title card, but I felt it needed to be in the reel to ID this nationally known show.

As far as the Swordfish package, I did all editing and compositing for a movie magazine show for Loews Cineplex. By mixing up the movie footage, with the behind the scenes footage, and the interview footage, I hope it's clear that I'm not saying I edited Swordfish. I edited (and wrote, actually) a feature package about Swordfish for a movie magazine show.

I should note that I am distributing a DVD demo reel that goes much more in depth with complete spots, program segments, a detailed resume, etc., etc.

Sorry that you felt John Travolta's face was the strongest thing on the reel... any comments on the editing/compositing?

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
svpchris@yahoo.com
http://homepage.mac.com/christianglawe/iMovieTheater5.html

Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]