BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: old/young-dinosaur/phone holder

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: old/young-dinosaur/phone holder
on Oct 3, 2019 at 9:57:20 pm

oh - is this where the old people sit around and get to complain -
well heck - I am old - so now it's my turn.

It's beyond the comprehension of many young people that an AVID that would do cuts only at 15 frames per second was $80,000, and you had to conform your cut between two Sony 3/4" VTR's like the Sony VO9850 and Sony VO9800. This concept is inconceivable to young people.

Of course, it was inconceivable to Bill Warner and Eric Peters that in order to remove one simple cut from a video tape, you had to "auto assemble" the entire show from the original masters, using three Sony or Ampex 1" VTR's at $80,000 a piece, plus an $80,000 CMX or Sony edit controller and an expensive GVG switcher. "That can't be accurate".

And of course, all the REAL professional who were doing graphics on a $250,000 Quantel Paintbox used to call Photoshop "Photo toy".

As far as "I've broken their machine" - my favorite story was here around 2000 in Florida, when I started to do stuff for Spectrum Cable (it was Brighthouse Networks at the time) - and I was working on their crappy old AVID running on a Windows NT box. I don't even remember what I was doing at the time, an update, or adding drives, or whatever, but the Win NT PC would no longer boot (the boot drive failed), so I asked for a Win NT recovery disk (floppy disk) and when they could not find one, the head of their IT department said to me "well - it was working before you touched it". Please remember that I had just come from NY, as a complete psychopath, and I was the big AVID guy in NY. It's a miracle I was not arrested.
Here we are in 2019, and I am still the contractor for Spectrum Cable.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]