BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Upgrading our suites, seriously need some advice...

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: Upgrading our suites, seriously need some advice...
on Jun 17, 2018 at 1:02:41 pm

Bill is completely correct. I have not read thru the entire post and all the threads, but the game has totally changed. Everything is based on IP today. Believe me, for someone who comes from a background of broadcast monitors, scopes, patch bays, routing switchers, etc. and to see all of this "out the window" is hard for me to take, but it's the reality of what is going on. When you see demos from Adobe and Blackmagic for Resolve and Premiere and After Effects, they are not outputting to Sony and FSI broadcast monitors. I recently did an install for a company with all new iMac Pro's, and they had to get new thunderbolt 3 Blackmagic products, because they "had to " feed their antique Sony LMD 20" 1080i monitors that look like a joke compared to anything you get at WalMart or Best Buy. "But how are we going to see an interlaced signal". Hey - they paid me. But this is 2018. The world has changed, but some people don't want to change.

Today a modern facility is your computers (Mac's or Win PC's) and a big shared storage system, all interconnected with a network. While you can get out to your monitors with AJA and Blackmagic products, you can feed the 4K signals today via HDMI or Display Port to monitors from HP, Eizo, Dell, as well as consumer LG and Samsung products. WHAT ! you say ? I am in the same boat you are in. I don't come from that background, but that's how it goes. The reality of plugging in a thunderbolt to HDMI dock from OWC, Promise, Sonnet or CalDigit to feed an HDMI monitor, instead of dealing with the more established AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, etc. is a common reality. Scopes ? What's a scope ! And of course, everything ties back (usually with 10G ethernet, and occationally with fiber channel) back to a shared storage system. That's a modern post production facility.

Just keep your mind open, and accept the fact that its nothing like the way it used to be.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]