BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Upgrading our suites, seriously need some advice...

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Upgrading our suites, seriously need some advice...
on May 30, 2018 at 8:57:59 pm

Hi Todd,

This is just a generalized comment.

The last 4 years I've been associated with first the FCPWorks and then the Lumaforge Team at NAB - and as you might know, they happen to be based around FCP X. (No, this post is NOT about that, at all.) It's a post about what I've seen in the rapidly changing topology of facility video distribution, in general.

I've had to make a HUGE change in my thinking about wiring systems. Virtually all of the editing systems for live content creation and manipulation has rapidly evolved AWAY from baseband video running on Coax or XLR sources - and now the lions share of the workflow systems I've used for capture, editing, and mastering is all digital signals over IP, now.

It's been a HUGE perspective change from what I"ve been doing for the past 30 years. Very little of this gear even "speaks" baseband video anymore.

These are typically BlackMagic hardware instillations. But I think AJA is playing a similar game.

This REALLY seems to be increasingly the way all video will be handled in the future. Everything a network mounted computer peripheral - with the key connective skill managing machine IP addresses.

You may already be totally there in your thinking, but the last 4 years of transition have been so stark to me that I thought it was worth a mention.

If I was wiring ANYTHING today. The central thought of mine would be that if I was doing ANYTHING like I would have done it 4 or 5 years ago - that ALONE would cause me to be concerned that I was designing something for the past - and not for the future.

Just my my 2 cents. YMMV.

Good luck on your journey.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]