BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Upgrading our suites, seriously need some advice...

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Terry
Re: Upgrading our suites, seriously need some advice...
on May 25, 2018 at 3:14:50 pm

Despite Mark's excellent suggestion, that does beg the question... what do you guys do with old editing systems, or computers in general? How do you dispose of, liquidate, or find new lives for them?

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but this is our 21st year and we have never gotten rid of an editing system here. In the studio behind the cyc are bunches of deep shelves (I call them the bunk beds), and there are all the old editing computers... lined up in a sad lifeless row.

I even have the very first system that I started with. It was the size of a small refrigerator, cost four times as much as my first car, and had a whopping 15 gig hard drive that even high-end computer geeks would come in and literally marvel at, slack-jawed and eyes agog at trying to conceive of something so huge... like it was a Cray Supercomputer or something. Times have changed. Actually, I've hung on to that computer for forever because it was a DPS Perception-based system which used a really crazy setup (it renders AVIs that actually only contain audio and pointers to the actual video frames which live on a separate RAID in a very proprietary format), and I would need that if we ever needed to restore any projects from "back in the day." So far, of course, we haven't.

But it could happen... a couple of weeks ago I got a call from an old client that I literally do not remember. At all. None. I didn't recognize their name in even the faintest way. They were wanting to update a commercial spot we did for them with a new logo. They sent me a low-res version of what we had produced for them. I do not remember it at all. I have no memory of producing it, directing it, or being on location when it was shot. We looked it up, and it was from almost 10 years ago. So old stuff does come back around again.

This is why our props and costume rooms look like an episode of Hoarders. But with less organization.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]