BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Who owns the footage??

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick Ortman
Re: Who owns the footage??
on Nov 10, 2016 at 4:04:02 pm

Mark said: "Even in rare cases where you retain the rights to what you shot as work for hire, it does not necessarily follow that you can yourself sell or profit by that raw footage without the original commissioning party's agreement,"

Mark: the original poster made it clear there was no agreement that this was a 'work for hire'. Absent such agreement, he may have legal rights which he ought to consult a real-life attorney about. Whether or not he decides to act upon such rights is truly up to him.

But I'll add: nobody can 'kill' your career but you. One client can't kill you. You're right that bad behavior over time can kill you. But I'm old enough finally to see that every situation is different, and that one ought to approach each client engagement as a partnership instead of a serfdom. Do the best for your clients, always. Treat them right. And expect them to do right by you. If they don't, fire them and move on. When I finally learned this, my career took off bigtime.

Los Angeles and New York video production for businesses and brands:
http://patrickortman.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]