BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Bidding on a webcast shoot where client insists I provide new internet connection

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: Bidding on a webcast shoot where client insists I provide new internet connection
on May 18, 2016 at 3:21:09 am
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on May 18, 2016 at 3:21:50 am

[Ned Miller] "I am worried about the one cell connection option"
I would be too unless you can test the specific location in the building and under similar load conditions. You can get a great connection in an uninhabited room but on the day of the event there's 800 people in auditorium on their phones....

Bonded devices work by using multiple carriers so the load may be balanced across several carriers.

If you go with a single LTE modem make sure it has a good data reputation and undersubscribed.

Funny story, I was streaming an event in a basement convention hall in a hotel. C-Span and I believe Reuters were there with LiveU units and kept dropping their connection. The client wanted someone independent of the media coverage, someone under their control so they hired me. I check the area and Clear had a Wi-Max tower near by. They were on a budget so I told them that we'd rent a Clear WI-Max modem. No one used Wi-Max (lost out to LTE... sorta the Betamax to VHS) and I had a great rock solid connection.

[Ned Miller] "I thought that dropped calls were a thing of the past,"
Voice and Data aren't always the same. Data can fluctuate heavily based on location and load even when voice is OK.

[Ned Miller] "is this common for them to demand the video vendor be responsible for the connection? "
It depends on the client and their facility but it's not uncommon. Some want you to take on the responsibility. Of course you bill them for that.

[Ned Miller] "From what I'm learning it's the connection which is the week link in webcasting, correct?"
Always the weak link. It's the most common point failure.

You could rent a Bond but because it's so inexpensive I think LiveU units are probably more common in the rental market.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]