BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: New project, but slightly conflicted to accept.

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kudos
David Roth Weiss
Re: New project, but slightly conflicted to accept.
on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:13:28 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Nov 18, 2014 at 9:13:50 pm

[Brandon Eastman] "The $15/hr was a quick example number that came to mind , but not far off from what i think to charge. This is because I'm a young filmmaker/videographer with minimal equipment (Nikon d7100, flimsy tripod, zoom h4n, and cutting video with Final Cut express 4 on an '08 MacBook). I don't want to overcharge, or put up a price that scares this church client away."

Brandon,

Everyone who's ever entered this business is afraid to scare away the client by charging too much. That's what is know as "false economy." If you undercharge, you do no one a favor, it simply helps to perpetuate a race to the bottom for you and everyone else in this business.

Everyone at every level of the media business has to learn on the job, because the technology changes so rapidly. So, resist the temptation to give your services away until you master everything, because that will never happen.

Remember, once you set a lowball price for your services you have established an expectation that will follow you, and you will become well-known in your area as the guy with the best price. When the good projects come around your clients will hand that work off to your competitors who are better known as the guys who are the best craftsmen and craftswomen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]