BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Who's responsible of cleaning office on a small creativity business ?

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Al Bergstein
Re: Who's responsible of cleaning office on a small creativity business ?
on May 11, 2014 at 6:27:13 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on May 11, 2014 at 7:01:04 pm

Osama, perhaps we are talking a cultural difference here, since you mentioned your pay in Euros, and from your name I could assume you were raised in a different culture than some in Europe, but I could be wrong there also. Just to be clear, there are numerous women (and a lot of men) who would take your comments really the wrong way, and they could even be your clients! From this side of the Atlantic, your comments are not what American values are usually all about. We tend (and not everyone here is the same) to assume that no one is above cleaning up after themselves, or keeping their workspaces clean. My assumption is, if I care about it, I clean it. Having worked in the UK, France and Italy, I understand that management is not often expecting to clean up the rugs, but you sound like you are a startup, and rules are a bit different on that.

Your answer that your workers are employees is the answer. You need to hire this out if you don't want to do it yourself. It's the cost of being a business owner and profiting from the business. They were not hired to clean up the restrooms and vacuum carpets, and they don't stand to make any profits from jobs that a clean studio brings in (other than ones they are working on). The job of maintenance is an operational job that is part of keeping the studio open, regardless if you have any work at all! It's a cost of doing business.

Your employees are only there while needed, and when done they could care less if the place doesn't get cleaned up. However, if it gets too messy they might work elsewhere where it's cleaner. So if they value that and you value them, you need to provide a clean workplace. And of course, you care about your clients, but the employees assume you are the 'owner' of those client relations. So it really is only up to you.

Cultural differences are hard to understand. As an example, I just was told a story last week by a friend from Brazil. He told me that the N word in English is actually the opposite in Brazil, and is as common and acceptable as saying "black person" is in the US, like saying, "If you are looking for Al, he's the tall black man usually dressed well". And calling someone a "black person" in Brazil is the same as using the N word in the US. He found out the hard way the first time he taught a course up here in a college. He was apparently rattling on about how a type of music was played by a certain type of Brazilian and noticed everyone was looking at him really funny. He got pulled into the office of the Dean later that day, and eventually had the whole thing explained to him. Needless to say, he was never asked back to teach (G).

I would recommend that you might consider a documentary on following a housecleaner or office cleaner through a week of their work sometime. You might find it extremely interesting and I would suggest that the people doing editing all day are doing a lot less strenuous work than the person cleaning the buildings. Here's a BBC expose of the industry from 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4259608.stm

and the documentary it describes. Available on Vimeo. You might all want to sit down and watch this together!

Al

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]