BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Who's responsible of cleaning office on a small creativity business ?

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Who's responsible of cleaning office on a small creativity business ?
on May 10, 2014 at 7:02:54 pm

Sometimes, very small-scale operations do things a little differently than regular companies. I guess I can see where in a family-owned shop, everybody pitches-in to handle whatever needs doing, in support of the team and the overall enterprise.

That being said, my initial reaction to your situation is twofold:

If your team are real professionals, you are wasting their time and your money by diverting them from editing, which contributes to the bottom line, to do general housekeeping duties. My take on the management/worker situation is that the workers are there to work at a specific service or product, and the management is there to support that work, to enable it to be done, and direct it. IF anybody should be mopping floors and cleaning carpets in that tiny group situation, then, it should be the manager/owner, leaving his people to do what they've been hired to do. Whether you look at manuals for corporate leadership, military command, or the Bible, true management, true leaders, earn the respect of the managed, by not making them do anything they themselves wouldn't do. The first will be last, the last will be first, and so on. Making the staff do menial, off-topic work of such a trivial nature, tells them you don't value their contribution, that they are just human capital you choose to use in any way you want. I'm not even going to ask if you pay them extra for the off-topic duty.

My second reaction is that if your budget is so tight you can't afford to find part-time cleaning staff from Craigslist or some local shelter/halfway house to do the scutwork, you have more serious problems than dirty rugs or unwashed dishes in the break room. People are standing in the streets everywhere, begging for any kind of honest work, and you can't find someone affordable to clean the shop twice a month? Really? No young students willing to take minimum wage? No single moms? No retirees needing a little extra side income? No sheltered workshop for good, hard-working people with developmental disabilities? No unemployed veterans? No ex-cons needing a fresh start? No homeless, just needing a hand up?

The "creativity" of your staff is not in question here. And how messy their work environment might be, is not the issue.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]