BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Rhythm and Hues

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Rhythm and Hues
on Mar 2, 2013 at 11:38:21 am

[Tim Wilson] "Very true, and one of the most frequent topics in this forum...but for someone like Digital Domain or R&H, "good enough" is NOT good enough. It has to be miraculous, it has to be massive, and it has to be insanely fast. "

When I originally said it I was speaking in a more general sense but I think it applies here too albeit in a slightly different way. R&H's end product has to be top notch, but do all their employees have to be as well? There is certainly a high level of artistry to VFX but there is also a lot of rote grunt work (just like with editing). I've never worked on anything that would be considered VFX heavy but I'd imagine there is a lot of prep work (key pulling, rotoscoping, wire removal, etc.,) in a movie like Avengers or Amazing Spider-Man that requires more elbow grease than artistry and if you can hire 400 'good enough' elbows over there for the same price as 100 good enough elbows over here... to quote Stalin, "Quantity has a quality all its own".

What starts as grunt work now will grow into higher quality work as these overseas companies gain experience (similar to the path animation has taken). Eventually they too will outsource their grunt work to another country and the cycle will repeat itself. Maybe VFX work will circle the globe and come back to the U.S. in a few decades. ;)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]