BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

I need a change; what would you do?

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Micah McDowell
I need a change; what would you do?
on Aug 23, 2012 at 6:16:09 pm

Well, I'm to that point... my current job is something I'm having a hard time enjoying anymore and I want a change.

I've been working for the same organization since graduating college majoring in video production. I had other previous long-term part time and freelance work which was wonderful experience and decent money, but this is the only full-time job with reel-worthy work that I've had in the business. It was the best work environment imaginable when I started several years ago, and continued to be until the last 6-12 months. Now, our department director has left, her boss also left, and now it's just a direct chain of command from those in higher authority, down to us who have to make their ideas work. It's not fun. Plus, I see writing on the wall that the organization is a sinking ship (or downsizing at least). I've been advised by former coworkers to keep a reel and resume on standby. I do still work with some great people in the department, and one of the biggest reasons I'd want to stay is to keep them from being short-handed, but I don't believe in what I'm doing anymore and I know that my best work is behind me here. I want to make a change, but the scary part is that I don't know of anywhere to turn.

I'm an "editor" by job description, but on a regular basis I do motion graphics/compositing/graphic design/live directing/field shooting/troubleshooting/equipment repair/et cetera. I'm fluent in most software and familiar with most hardware. My local area doesn't have much to offer other than a couple small TV stations and a few small production companies, most of whom I have been advised against working for by former employees. I have many contacts from various odd freelance jobs, but I doubt that I could make a living through freelance work alone. Right now may not be the best time for a relocation, and if I did, I wouldn't know how to go about it. I've never even applied for a job before; I've always been approached by others who heard of me and hired on the spot.

Pardon many non-specifics of my post, but I do know that Google indexes this, though at this point, I really don't care who knows. Where does one go from a situation like this? Do I just wait it out, try to keep motivated and get the passion back, and enjoy the steady salary? Do I send reels every which way and hope that I hear back and get lucky? I'd love to hear from you who have dealt with similar situations before, if only for inspiration. Thank you.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]