BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: A Chicago Giant falls

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Kolb
Re: A Chicago Giant falls
on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:59:01 am

Times change and every business is under stress these days...production people are among those who have gone through some of the tightest times lately...

Many people had good luck with Roscor...it's a shame to see all those people lose their livelihoods. On the other hand, not all of us found doing business with them to be pleasant...

After a three hour drive for a system demo, they had double-scheduled us with another company by mistake and they treated myself and my colleague as if our sale really didn't matter. They were the only VAR for Media 100 systems in the region, so I bought exactly one Media 100 system from them and even the delivery was so incredibly botched that Data Translation heard from me repeatedly. After several months of just trying to just acquire the correct manuals, I have never bought anything from them since...and we're talking 1996.

The big customers are great, but if you drop the ball with enough little ones, each big sale becomes critical to survival...extending a year for terms on a large international transaction for instance.

While I'm sure that the closing/reorganizing of any business has a variety of factors...I had one of my own about ten years back...I think that it can be easy to forget to treat your smaller customers with respect, even after you have some larger ones. It's income in smaller increments, but the risk is also spread over a lot more transactions. One slow/no pay isn't fatal...and little customers can turn into big ones, happy or not.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]