BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: My Next Move

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: My Next Move
on Oct 26, 2011 at 11:51:34 pm

Here is my 2 cents (yup, I found this thread !).

Keep your freelance jobs. This car dealer will ultimately get slow, ultimately find a kid cheaper than you, and ultimately FIRE YOU.
It is my opinion that you should BEG this car dealer to hire you as a CONTRACTOR - you can do all of his work that you were doing for your last job, for a FRACTION OF THE PRICE, and because he doesn't have to have you as an employee, he doesn't need to pay you vacation, benefits, etc. And on the other side of the coin, you get to charge him for PROJECT AFTER PROJECT. This way, when he works you to death, you are billing him for every thing that you are doing for him.

You must understand that there are no permanent jobs anymore, unless you are a school teacher, or policeman. You will continue to lose your job for the rest of your life, and have to find something else. This is especially hard if you work for a company for 20 years, do good work, and then they lay you off.

Being self employed is not easy, but we do not live in an easy economy. If you had found a job at the local TV station, that would be a more secure place to stay for a long time. But I don't think anyone is going to have a 20 year video career at a car dealership.
Get them as a client, along with your other freelance clients, and this can be the start of your own personal business. Once you have them, you can get MORE car dealerships, and other clients as well.

As far as "I don't like web" - what does that mean ? I dont' like a lot of things - when I get done with an install, I throw out my garbage - I dont' like to throw out the garbage, but I am getting paid to do this. You have to learn everything today - web, podcasting, streaming, teleconferencing, audio, graphics, etc, etc.
IF you say "I just want to edit" - then you should surely just get a job. Because just knowing one skill will not help you in our ever changing industry.

Bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]