BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: My Next Move

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: My Next Move
on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:40:09 pm

You're married; so, what does your wife think? This is not longer completely your own decision. How much can the two of you lean on her income if the freelance falls through? I don't know what your plans for a family are, but generally you want some stability before you commit to parenthood. That was the choice that I faced when I was at the same point in my career as you are at now. I chose for stability, with less money, versus a lot of excitement and possible fabulous money, but a lot of uncertainty. Because I'm not a gambler.

I have a friend who did car dealership ads, it was high-pressure, low fun, low-pay work. Something that you do for a year to build character as well as intensively learn a few apps REALLY well. But it becomes very repetitive work.

If you look at your job possibilities a a set of investments, the freelance gigs might be the random penny stocks where one or two may pay off big but most will just creep along. The full time car job is the blue chip, but it's troubled company with an uncertain future. If you could spread the risk across all the options, that's safest. So I would pitch myself to the car guy as a freelancer on retainer; push the idea that that way of working makes his jobs priority but he's not on the hook for your taxes and benefits; you are.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]