BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: My Next Move

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nick Griffin
Re: My Next Move
on Oct 25, 2011 at 7:37:17 pm

"[Aaron Cadieux] "I am not really into either of those things (especially web), and I am worried that I might hate it."

"[Tim Wilson] This is why they call it "work" my son."

It's unusual that I disagree with my friend Tim, but this is one of the few times. Aaron, I believe that you have already identified a serious issue: you don't know too much about print and web development and therefore would possibly be putting yourself under too much pressure and therefore likely would hate it.

I also have doubts that the macro view that jobs are [Tim Wilson] "IMploding now." What's happening to large numbers of job seekers and recent graduates may (repeat MAY) have little relevance to Aaron's situation if he already has a base of clients onto which he can build.

Which brings up one of the most critical issues to consider, how solid is that base? Should one or two current projects head south, will your business be able to survive? What are your reserves? Got enough to keep paying the rent/mortgage should things slow down? Are there any large capital outlays required to go fully freelance?

BTW- While none of us know any more about this situation than what's posted here, I really like the idea of pitching for the video work alone, even if it's on a long-term, discounted basis. The key of course being long-term and that they're not just using you to teach the print/web guy how to add video to his skill set so they can replace you.

These are my opinions. Not to be taken as too much more than adding a few more ideas to the conversation.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]