BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: My Next Move

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Martin
Re: My Next Move
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:23:22 pm

Aaron,

Could you/should you have told your current employer about the interview? Perhaps yes. Perhaps no. It sounds like you've got a good relationship with him - so I wouldn't be too worried. It doesn't sound as if he's too upset about it. Besides, as you say, you're being laid off and you need to focus on your future.

As for the full time vs freelance options in front of you - it sounds like you've broken down the pro and cons for each and it comes down to how much of a risk are you willing to take to start a full time business.

As the owner of a small production company with 7 people, I can tell you that it can be both rewarding and maddening at the same time. I like the freedom and flexibility that comes with owning my own business. But having everything fall on your own shoulders can sometimes be a heavy burden that a 9-5 employee simply doesn't have to deal with.

There are times when I make really good money and other times when I don't do as well. How much a roller coaster can your stomach handle?

Your own personal situation has to be taken into account as well. If others (i.e. family, kids, etc...) rely on you for support, the risk of entrepreneurship may be too great. Or not.

I started my business when I was pretty young. Not yet married and no kids. If I were in your position now (married with 2 kids) I might make a different choice than I did 20 years ago.

Short of a very public airing of all the variables in your life, I don't know that any of us on the COW can really offer too much specific advise for what, in the end, will be a very personal decision about your future.

So please don't view this as advise - but perhaps some insight. Of course, your mileage may vary!

Good luck!

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]