BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: FCP-X: Case study for biz schools

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: FCP-X: Case study for biz schools
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:52:14 pm

[Mike Cohen] "I think this is a hypothetical similar situation:"

When the Harvard Business School was the first to begin teaching the case study method in 1920, one reason why it was so controversial (and still is, actually) is that sample sizes are necessarily statistically insignificant -- one of a gajillion. They can all be seen as exceptions to "well known economic laws," so what the heck can you learn from them?

With Apple, that's kind of the point. Most of what you're going to learn from an Apple case study is that they write their own rules, which may or may not apply to anyone else.

I'm not saying anything about Apple one way or the other. I'm talking about case studies. I agree that this is going to make a great one, but I'd advise any student of mine that there's not enough to base a case on, one way or the other, for at least a year.

Because what do we know about the iPhone 4 antenna "debacle" a year later? It affected a lot more people, got WAY more ink, and I can summarize the net net in two words: Whatever, dude.

We'll know more in a year, at which time we might find that Apple is an exception to its own exception. Or not.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]