BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Advice regarding an Unbearable Client I don't want to lose

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Cohen
Re: Advice regarding an Unbearable Client I don't want to lose
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:52:14 am

I think I was the 4th video guy working this system. Are you working at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx in sunny xxxxxxxxxx?

No? Well, your situation is a common one. You inherit someone else's mistakes. Sure the shows happen and your McGyver skills help, and the client can sell their poorly made DVD copies to their customers who don't seem to care about whatever level of quality you care about.

I hate to say this phrase, but think about doing a SWOT analysis and presenting this to your bosses. SWOT is popular in the corporate world and it shows a fairly objective view of a situation. If you can show that some modest investments can improve workflow, thus improving the customer experience and perceived value, you might get some agreement.

What you can't do is go to the boss and say "your system is a piece of rubbish. I wouldn't be caught dead working here if my wife wasn't going to law school." Well guess what, you work there, they have clearly replaced many who came before you and can replace you in an economy in which people should be happy with whatever jobs are available.

So tough it out, be diplomatic (ie "Mr Jones, I have assessed the reliability of the system, and making a few minor improvements could increase the overall quality of the programming and streamline the operation" vs "Mr Jones, there isn't enough duct tape and zip ties in central Missouri to hold this system together. I'd rather flip burgers than operate your video system. Why, if this video system were a US President it would be Woodrow Wilson.." etc)

So moral of the story - be diplomatic and be thankful for the work - it is hard to come by these days. Built in a day, Dagobah was not.

Mike Cohen

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]