BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Advice regarding an Unbearable Client I don't want to lose

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Eaks
Re: Advice regarding an Unbearable Client I don't want to lose
on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:27:37 pm

[Donell Hall] "Things go wrong constantly."

[Donell Hall] "The list of things that are wrong with this system would take me hours to list"

I think you have three options here

1- Bust. Your. Ass.
This option might depend on your clients budget. Start showing up 2 hours early, spend this extra hour (off the clock) checking equipment etc.. Take notes on old equipment that NEEDS replacing to alleviate the "adapter nightmare" and to bring the setup up to speed. Do some heavy research on the equipment needed, how it will integrate and costs. Learn new things. After spending a ton of your own time gathering lots of info, present a "solution" to the owner. As you said, all the previous people have had a "f- it, just make it work" attitude. Attempt to get the whole workflow in the facility stable and reliable, make it known that your intention is to get this place running smooth and trouble-free (then they wont have to call and bug you 10 times a week with menial and/or dire trouble-shooting) not to mention outputting a higher quality product. If you go way above and beyond the call of duty they might make you into their full time in-house guy for the NEXT 20 years. But could you do that? Can you stand to be there for that many hours of your life? Is that even something you want to aim for? If they don't have a budget to buy new gear and get this place in shape, AND a budget to (potentially) hire you on as their full time in house guy, it's probably not worth the trouble (except for the experience you'll get).

2- Scrape by.
Just do as much as it takes to get the job done, stick to your job description but be as helpful in other areas as you see fit. When something goes wrong address it on the fly to the best of your ability. Hopefully it still works on the next shoot. The quality of the final DVD's will continue to suffer because of the terrible mess of mismatched equipment unworthy of being called a "system". Learn from the experience as much as possible but be prepared to lose the client, as I figure these guy's are always looking for someone who will do the work of 5 people for the pay of one and in half the time (only new guy's are willing to do that, and probably why your the 12th one).

2- Quit
Be sure to tell them that the whole facility is garbage and "only trash comes out of the garbage". Sound all snooty and like " I'm above this". [/sarcasm]

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]