BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Discovery & National Geographic Producers Portal

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick Ortman
Re: Discovery & National Geographic Producers Portal
on Feb 27, 2011 at 9:48:48 pm

My own small experience with entertainment industry legal boobs is they tend to write language that is fairly overreaching. I beat Big Entertainment Co. (they had spider man on their stationery! so cool!) a number of years ago, and I also won against Big Movie Company That Uses Earth As Their Logo. In both cases, the legal boobs in question were counting on us rolling over. We didn't. They lost.

I'm pretty sure there's entire departments of young legal eagles trying to "make their bones" by writing overreaching boilerplate or harassing small vendors. The more experienced people at both of those companies- even in the legal department- were actually pretty cool. Except for one guy, but he's in prison now.

Now, should you send a network (or record company, even) something unsolicited? Probably not. And are there a ton of great ideas out there similar to yours? Probably. But if your stuff's really been stolen, no matter how they became aware of it, I don't think you should let the boilerplate b.s. on a website dissuade you from suing the thieves in question.

----------------------------
PatrickOrtman, Inc.
Los Angeles Digital Agency and Video Production Company

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]