BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Million $$... or a bit Less?

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick Ortman
Re: Million $$... or a bit Less?
on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:54:02 pm

Craig Said >>
Basically undercharging is the business equivalent of hanging an albatross around your business's neck.<<

So very true. And those birds BITE.

While I'm all for giving clients the best price possible for a project, it does neither the client or prodco any good to not charge enough to cover expenses and make a decent profit on a job, because the prodco will go out of business.

Also, if you are the director on a job, and your hard costs for this job came to $8K, for instance, and you charged the client $10K, you did NOT just make a $2K profit. Remember to pay yourself. I only bring this up because I used to make this mistake a lot. Otherwise, you may as well work at McDonald's.

Finally, while I do appreciate the folks who are very day rate oriented, I hope that you guys are including the planning and administrative costs of doing a project like this in your day rate, somehow. Projects like this one are absolutely not run-and-gun, I'd probably spend a week or so in prepro on a gig like this, and that's time you should be paid for.

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]