BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Current state of the Video Editing industry PART 2

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kudos
Rob Grauert
Re: Current state of the Video Editing industry PART 2
on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:31:38 pm

I definitely agree with everything here. But since I only graduated from college a year ago, I'll share some pointers since I was one of the lucky ones who actually landed a legit job.

- As stated, learn EVERYTHING. Kiss your social life good bye for a year or two. Instead of buying a 30-pack of PBR, buy a 6-pack. If you want to work in post, READ the manuals of as much software as you can. I work with FCP daily, but I know my way around the entire suite and can do some basic tasks in every area of post. Do I consider myself to be an audio professional? No way, and I don't advertise myself as that. But I certainly can perform some basic cleaning and sweeting of audio in Soundtrack Pro. Same goes with motion graphics. I suck so bad at that, but I can go into Motion and make some nice lower thirds (with the help of Photoshop and Illustrator). I'm not a colorist either, but I know how to prep a timeline for Color, do some basic color balancing in Color, and send it back to FCP. I can make a pretty complex DVD as well. So yes, learn EVERYTHING. And besides, when you take the time to learn something on your own, you get this nice, "Yea! I learned this on my own" kinda feeling. it's nice.

To give you an example on how much you should know: I work for the marketing team of a corporate company, but there are only 3 video guys: me and my two bosses. Well, my two bosses create a 10-episode reality show for The Outdoor Channel...just the two of them...by themselves. Talk about needing to know EVERYTHING. And no lie, I don't see many shows on TV with better production values.

- Build yourself a website to display your work and résumé. Don't blow your money on demo DVDs. It's expensive if you want it to look presentable, and they go in the trash anyway. I wish someone would have told me this because I spent about $400 when I didn't really have any money so I could send out about 100 DVDs. Not one response. So build yourself a website so you can email cover letters and résumés along with a link to your website.

- Be willing to relocate. Hey, I love Philadelphia, but there is practically no work there. New York, LA and DC have always been the places I looked the most...until I got lucky.

- You can check Mandy.com, Craig's List actually has legit jobs for DC now, and there's even job postings forum for here on the COW, which is actually where I found my job. Also, I haven't done this in a while, but I go on IMDB because it always lists the production companies that make shows or films. Then I just Google those companies for the contact info, haha. Never led to anything though...

- Take 10 minutes to look over the stuff you send to employers. After I got hired, my bosses were telling me how some of the cover letters they received said things like, "I think I'd be a valuable team player for HGTV." Yea, we're not HGTV...

Also, you really should feel lucky that you've chosen a path in video production. Why? Because you have the COW. I feel so bad for my graphic designer friends and photographer friends, and whoever, because they don't have ANYTHING that comes close to this website. I mean, look at all the free information people are just giving out on this site. I learned more here than I ever could at any school, and I can honestly say I don't think I'd have my job if it weren't for this site.

So dump your girlfriend and say good bye to your friends, spend a few hours reading manuals everyday (and of course mess around with the software as you're reading), visit the COW for a few hours a day, spend a few hours just looking for potential places to work (I keep a list at home of all the places I'd like to work along with their contact info). And I don't mean spend like, 2 hours doing all this. I'm talk about doing this all day - from when you wake up until you go to bed. I remember in college one teacher said to me, "FInding a job is a job itself." And my teacher from high school said to me, "If you keep trying you're bound to get lucky, because once you give up you guarantee nothing will ever come your way.'

Doing all of this paid off for me.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]