BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Grinding back when good clients start to Grind

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Cole
Re: Grinding back when good clients start to Grind
on Jun 27, 2010 at 1:14:46 am

[Neil Hurwitz] "Is it better to have 100 clients each representing 1%
of your billing Or 5 clients each representing 20%?"

There is such a thing as too many clients, at least for a sole proprietor. I've seen some talented craftsmen, who are getting more business than they can handle, expand from being successful freelancers to mediocre managers. They think they are good at hiring talented people and motivating them, but they learn how difficult that can be. And on top of that, they now have a "nut" to meet every month. The talents of a great cameraman/producer/editor are not even distantly related to the skillset of a manager.

Small can be good. My clients know that I'm focused on their interests, and I think they appreciate it. Do I want a few more? Of course. But not many more.

This can be carried to an extreme; corporate outsourcing has led to people who are called freelancers being hired full-time, for years on end -- in effect, employees in all but name and certain benefits. But even being an official employee is no guarantee of job security. That bird is a vanishing species.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]