BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Hammered

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike Cohen
Re: Hammered
on Oct 23, 2009 at 1:56:00 am

I thought the whole point of 500 channels is that niche programming creates a specific audience for each genre. But apparently niche audiences don't pay the bills. I am a bit surprised that tv ratings even exist anymore.

I loved the premise of Galactica - believable people involved in extraordinary situations with a realistic style. What sold the show for me was that the ordinance used in space were bullets and missiles, not corny lasers. The show jumped the shark after the New Caprica season, but it was still some of the best sci fi ever on television.

A show like Warehouse 13 or Fringe one would expect to see on SciFi Channel, but with lower budgets and if possible, even worse acting.

I remember fondly when you could turn on MTV and the videos ran 24/7. Mid 80's they introduced variety programming like the MTV half hour comedy hour and Remote Control, then came Beavis and Butthead, Aeon Flux and Real World Season 1. That's when MTV jumped the shark and the networks have been following the Fonz ever since.

Occasionally we get a surprise, like the unannounced live U2 concert on a flatbed truck in NYC, or Planet Earth or Deadliest Catch (that's for you Grinner). But we have been watching every non-pay channel die a slow death. Makes me wonder if the network execs are aware of how bad their programming has become, or if all they care about it sellin' ads.

I agree that in a very short time, the best shows will be available exclusively online and NBC will be begging to buy programming from web-based producers. Creative COW Television Network - we're waiting for you.

Mike Cohen

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • Hammered by Mark Suszko on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:28:05 pm
    • Re: Hammered by walter biscardi on Oct 22, 2009 at 10:17:24 pm
      • Re: Hammered by John Davidson on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:34:12 am
        • Re: Hammered by Ron Lindeboom on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:48:21 am
    • Re: Hammered by grinner hester on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:17:56 am
      • Re: Hammered by Chris Blair on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:55:57 am
        • Re: Hammered by walter biscardi on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:58:56 am
          • Re: Hammered by Shane Ross on Oct 23, 2009 at 1:43:21 am
            • Re: Hammered by Mike Cohen on Oct 23, 2009 at 1:56:00 am