BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: They're just not that into you....

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ron Lindeboom
Re: They're just not that into you....
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:37:18 pm

[Mark Suszko] "In the case of Ron's Zoo Guide, I would love to know, sensei, what types of advertisers you grabbed. My guess would be several restaurants are in there, because after a day at the zoo mom and dad don't feel like cooking too, so why not extend the fun of the day by eating out. That makes logical sense to me. Why I would want to advertise in the zoo guide if I'm a funeral parlor or a repair garage or a stationer, I don't know. I'm curious to see what the connections were in that one. I suppose you can always go with "civic pride and proud local booster" even when there is no other connection. But to me I feel the better deal overall is to find a synergy like the restaurants near the zoo."

Great comments, Mark, as always. ;o)

Yes, there were many "direct synergies" in the Guide, as you guessed. But one of the advantages of dealing with a small municipal zoo -- cross this one over to your own situation and where you find advantages that can be recognized and exploited -- is that there is indeed a lot of pride in the fact that it is a part of the community, and so we had a wide reach into the local retailers, professionals, service providers, hospitality industry, etc.

The key to getting the credibility in such a new endeavor, was the fact that we took the time to pitch the City Manager -- complete with the actual finished Zoo Guide in a binder, flipping page to page showing him the finished guide with empty spots where the ads would be. He too, bought into the community pride that the "little zoo started as a rescue mission for injured animals" had grown into a member of American Zoological Society and was instrumental in preserving the Arabian Oryx from extinction and was also hard at work to preserve the genetic diversity of the Madagascar Lemur population by working with other zoos worldwide to swap and breed the rapidly dwindling species.

When he gave us the letter from the City of Atascadero, that clinched the deal and gave us a level of credibility that we would in no way had without it.

We always showed the letter before beginning any presentation.

It was a community function and it saved our bacon at a time when there was just no way to get any sizable job without it.

As John Davidson alluded to in his opening post, get creative in your pitches.

Ron Lindeboom

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]