BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: A Major Motion Picture in HDV

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

jon agnew
Re: A Major Motion Picture in HDV
on Apr 16, 2009 at 5:43:10 pm

I think it is sometime all too easy for us to fall into the technology trap, giving too much weight to numbers...1440 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080....4:2:0 vs 4:2:2...etc. I am more than guilty of this. However, I think it's important for us to remember that, at its core, filmmaking is about story and emotion...and that cannot be quantified with resolution or color space.

One of my favorite movies from the last 5 years is "The Puffy Chair" shot entirely on a DVX-100. It may not look like "The Last Emperor", but the story was successful...and because it cost so little to make, it was a financial success as well. And it opened the door for the Duplass Brothers, who wrote and directed the film, to make more films...which, in the end, is how a filmmaker would judge his own success: "Can I make another one?"

I think it's laudable for filmmakers to pursue their craft despite limitations imposed by budget and format. I would rather see a good story shot on VHS, than a Michael Bay film in IMAX.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]