BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Re: Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors

COW Forums : Business & Career Building

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Wayne Keyser
Re: Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors
on Aug 12, 2007 at 6:07:08 am

This question is also important for those who are covered now, but whose coverage may expire on their own retirement, or on the retirement of their spouse (which is the way many of the self-employed get their health insurance).

Being an old guy, that started me looking a while back. I asked my friends and acquaintances, even got some good tips via my attorney.

First, let me tell you what happened when I posted exactly this question to users of my self-produced line of instructional DVDs (in this case, self-employed entertainers) - I got some good answers, and a couple of desperately wrongheaded ones that I kept as bad examples. I posted them on my own website in a section I provide as "web freebies" for my customers - you might like to see their suggested approaches:

http://www.goodmagic.com/dvdx/common/insur.htm

Second, I've been continuing my own exploration - my wife wants to retire, and her employer has no provision for continuing coverage.

I found that, although options vary widely from state to state, in most areas it's possible to affiliate with some organization through which you can purchase health insurance. Perhaps a local arts council, Chamber of Commerce, fraternal organization, some college alumni organizations, etc. AARP is working on a comprehensive plan. Even Costco has both health and dental plans for members in Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii and Nevada. Ask your self-employed friends what they do (especially professionals, even if they're in other professions) and you'll get some good answers applicable to your area.

=============

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]