FORUMS: list search recent posts

I don't understand difference between media servers vs. standalone playback

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Hilary Tsai
I don't understand difference between media servers vs. standalone playback
on Jun 2, 2018 at 5:01:14 am

I'm very interested in live show visual fx such as projection mapping and projected set design for live concerts and shows. Recently, I've stumbled upon a real time rendering software called Notch, which is made for content creation and live playback; but it seems like it's geared toward big time show producers and artists. I'm having trouble deciphering some of the lingo on their software description. For one thing, I need to understand the difference between a media server and standalone playback, as the software advertises that it supports both. Would anyone explain to me the difference? Does a media server take the place of a computer, for example? I only know about outputting to a projector from my laptop, and can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of a media server. I would appreciate if somebody could dumb things down for me and explain what it's used for, and perhaps have a look at the site:

https://www.notch.one/products/notch-playback/

They say:
"As well as media servers, Notch Playback enables the use of executables exported from Builder Pro. Invaluable for interactive installations or kiosks."

But Builder pro seems like an entirely different product from Playback, which is part of why I'm confused. They license Builder and Playback separately... I plan to write an email to the company to clarify this bit, but if anyone can break down the server vs. standalone playback issue for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]