Creative COWSIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

Re: "Best" format for DVD's and archiving

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Social ShareSend Email MessageShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInComment
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Don GreeningRe: "Best" format for DVD's and archiving
by on Mar 3, 2006 at 7:22:37 pm

A Lot of people are using Compressor 2 using the same workflow they used with Compressor 1 and they've reported that the 2 pass VBR best ends up looking like crap. Nothing else they've tried to fix the problem has worked. So......it would seem that Compressor 2 works for some and not for others. It is indeed a mystery. The workaround for these folks is to use 1 pass CBR and they're apparently getting better encoding results.

For myself, 2 pass VBR best in Compressor 2 works flawlessly. I export a self-contained QT movie from FCP, video only. Then I export the audio using the "Audio to AIF" command. I use APack on my G4 to compress the audio then transfer the .ac3 file to my G5 via ethernet. I use Compressor 2 to encode the video using 2 pass VBR best, then import the two elements into DVDSP4. I build my DVD and burn onto Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R Inkjet Printables, and they'll play on any consumer DVD player I've tried so far, including clients' older players collecting dust in their livingrooms. I never encode with a max. bitrate higher than 7.

And there you have it.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Social ShareSend Email MessageShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInComment

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESJOBSNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn GroupCreative COW Facebook PageCreative COW on Twitter
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]