Re: Compressor settings

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

olof ekbergh
Re: Compressor settings
on Aug 24, 2008 at 12:08:22 pm

Back in 1998 I think it was.

I had a Museum as a client and we had a video the wanted to run in 30 seat theatre.

Back then Beta SP was about the only way to do it for component output. Pretty expensive and all the problems of tape transport etc.

DVD's had just come out. It would have cost about $15,000.00 to have a DVD made back then. So I looked into buying an authoring setup.

First I bought a system for a Wintel machine. It meant using 4 different programs, kind of a nightmare, as I remember 2 of them were DOS. We also bought a $4,500.00 Pioneer DVD burner (I still use that for authoring DVD's). DVD blanks back then cost $50.00 ea. I went through more than a dozen of them over 2 months trying to burn 1 20 minute DVD that was play once then stop, I had over 100 hrs of tech support and the company never could get it to work, they wanted to charge me . Eventually I got my money back from the company. This was quite a battle.

Well to make a long story short. I Bought the Sonic solutions hardware system for Mac, expensive! But the very first disc I burned was perfect, and the second third forth etc. were too.

I used that system, until a few years ago (I still have it in a box PCI cards and all) when DVDsp came out. And as much as I hate to say it the then $500.00 program was better than the $20,000.00 hardware system.

My point is, you bleed if you try to lead.

So far I have only made standard DVD-R's, that play in Bluray set-tops, using Toast.

I will probably play some with Encore, but I will not tell clients I can make interactive Blurays other than extremely simple Toast versions. Luckily most of our DVD's run in KIOSK's simply looping.

I bet in a year or 2 we will have great BD solutions. I still also use HD-DVD in a few interactive KIOSK projects, they work just like standard DVD's, made in DVDsp.

I do feel you pain. I still have the scars.

Olof Ekbergh

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]