SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Sony PXW-FS7M2 vs Canon C-300 MARK II

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Blaise Douros
Re: Sony PXW-FS7M2 vs Canon C-300 MARK II
on Jul 18, 2017 at 8:25:24 pm

Craig, sorry for the late response. The main useful thing I see in the FS7ii is the electronically variable ND. Setting exposure like that could be super useful. They also allow DOF-pulls which are a cool effect I would love to try. The other thing that will become tremendously useful is its ability to record in a Rec.2020 color space for HDR TVs. You can still shoot sLog3 and grade to this spec, but it's also nice to be able to bake in the look for fast-turn projects.

The LUT system built-in to the camera is stellar, and incredibly useful. You can load any 3dLUT into the camera and bake a look into a shot; again, useful for quick-turn projects.

In general, the FS7ii is an incremental upgrade from the MkI, so if you don't want to spend the extra money, just get a MkI and cry a little less. The HFR in particular on the FS7 has been life-changing for the kind of stuff I shoot; 180 fps in 1080p, fully gradeable, at 10-bit 4:2:2, is amazing. In most ways, the C300ii and FS7 MkI are very comparable, but the HFR on the Sony absolutely smokes the C300ii in every possible way. The Canon goes to 120 fps, and center crops the image (bye bye wide-angle slo-mo shots). The FS7 goes to 180 fps, and has the option of full scan or center crop (and that goes for both HFR and normal shooting modes: double your telephoto lens length, or shoot with S16 lenses at 2K).

Lastly, you can shoot up to 60p in 4K on the FS7, versus only 30P in 4K on the C300ii. I don't shoot a lot of 4K currently, but it's nice to have the option to shoot slow motion or high-frame-rate content in 4K if I need it.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]