SONY CINEALTA: Sony CineAlta HD Forum HDV Format Forum Sony CineAlta HD Articles

Re: Sony PXW-FS7M2 vs Canon C-300 MARK II

COW Forums : Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Alan
Re: Sony PXW-FS7M2 vs Canon C-300 MARK II
on Jul 11, 2017 at 5:21:07 pm

For me its a mixed bag. Back in the day when Canon XL1/2 SERIES vs the Sony PD1000-150-170 series I used both and way more the Sony - it was sharper and worked hand held etc. However the canon had better lenses and flaws in human faces were softened and more flattering. Didn't buy the film look that was claimed but had a more pleasing look in some ways assuming you were mounted on a tripod or some other way. Canon had way better audio. Sony which made good audio equipment did not include that on this series of cameras. After that the mini HDV Canon cams were really good beginner or tight space cams and the Sony HVR-Z7U was a step up with interchangeable lenses (which Canon had) and even HMI out which allowed you to skip the HDV codec and record to a KiPro recorder in ProRes. Also that way, way better than capturing from mini-DV/HDV tape via firewire. Speaking of which the Canon cams were real hit or miss when you needed to ingest the footage on a Mac. The computer would often not see the external cam at all. Better luck using a SONY deck (ironically) for capture. I enjoyed using both cams. The canon also needed yearly trip to canon repair shop to realign the heads.

My real need here is which of these two has a better sensor/image. Canon has better knobs and built in features; the Sony has better shoulder mount ergonomics and a ton of upgradable accessories but their mirrorless still cams are great bang for the buck video cams and the sensor image looks great and the PXW-FS7M2 sensor is in that family with camcorder features. It was a no brainer when the c-300 was significantly more expensive ... now at my budget back on table. Been using Panasonics the last view years 1080P. Kinda the Sony PD170 of the 1080 years. But the Sony was more bullet proof. Damn thing when to several wars. I know people who used them in Vietnam and the middle east.

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]